Thursday, May 3, 2007

FEATI UNIVERSITY-CIVIL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT THESIS AND RESEARCH 2005

ABSTRACT



Title : “The Possibility of using Sawdust-Cement- Gravel Mix for Residential Floor Slabs”

Researchers : Allen Antonio, Rey Baldeo and Belen Bonifacio

Adviser : Engr. Elizabeth Rodriguez Rivera

School : FEATI University

Date : March 2005

Degree : Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering

Over the years, engineers have conjured up ways to help us adapt to our changing world more efficiently. The development of new technologies not only helps us but also the environment. It ensures that all involved benefit from this. Nowadays, recycling is becoming an issue, as well as air pollution. At the same time, the construction industry is searching for ways to develop more lightweight materials.
Fine aggregates in concrete act as small binders that shape the whole structure. It gives the mixture its texture and consistency. Sand is the primary fine aggregate being used in any concrete structure. Sawdust however is a waste byproduct of sawmills, ejected when sawing lumber. It is both lightweight and cheap, meaning that it not only helps make it possible to build more lightweight structures but can also lower the cost of structures.
Our study focuses on developing an acceptable concrete mix that can be used for residential slabs. Since most structures in residential areas require less weight than high-rise structures, it might be possible to apply certain concepts with sawdust-cement-gravel mixtures. Also, concrete slabs compose almost 40% of the structures weight since they occupy a large area. If further development is pursued, it might be possible to apply sawdust as a fine aggregate substitute for lightweight structures and maybe more.
The whole of the project tries to implicate that sawdust-cement-gravel mix has an equal advantage than the standard mix of cement-sand-gravel. Both mixed in proportions classified as Class A mix with the proportions of 1:2:4 of cement, a fine aggregate, and a coarse aggregate respectively. Two sets of sample with three sample of each were made for a total of 6 specimens to be tested. The first set of three samples consists of the sawdust-cement-gravel mix, the second set of the ordinary concrete mix. Each set were mixed and molded in the same way and with the same volume proportions. After placement in molds, both sets were left to cure for a number of days. The then curing samples will then be tested at a given period of days specified under the National Structural Code of the Philippines or NSCP ( 7, 14, and 28 days). For added data, since time is against us, we decided to minutely alter the curing processes of the sawdust-cement-gravel specimens. The seven day specimen was not cured, the fourteen day specimen was soaked, and the twenty-eight day specimen was washed with a little bit of water every morning. After each curing period assigned, each group was tested under a hydraulic press machine for compressive strength test. The results of each period presented many peculiar findings.
During curing process, a decision was made to do different curing procedures and even none. The seven day specimen, which was not cured at all, showed a high early strength yield. The fourteen day specimen, soaked in water, was lower by 100 kg/cm3 or 1,419.4 psi. the last sample, cured every morning with water, stabled at about 220 kg/cm3 or 3122.68 psi. Results indicated that the average strength of the sawdust-cement-gravel mix was about 3000 psi. which, according to NSCP standards is between 2500 psi – 3000 psi., is still in accordance with minimum safety standards. Further analysis tells us that during the hydration process of concrete, the water taken in by the sawdust particles during mixing help hydrate cement particles in places where it is impossible to cure, mainly the center. Since found that the hydration of the center of structural components like columns take most of the time in construction, sawdust particles might help lessen curing time in half and could also eliminate the need to using chemicals to cure. Henceforth, proves that sawdust can be used in concrete mixes for residential floor slabs. With regards to the weight of the two sets of samples, an equally small amount of each was made and weighed. The results were dramatic since the sawdust-cement-gravel mixture was almost half of the standard mix’s weight then again proving its lightweight property. Another observation was that every sample tested to its failing point showed wood fiber bonding at work. Faces of the sample that were supposed to fall off once cracked didn’t, instead were being held together by strands of sawdust. To make it short, rather than splitting apart like usual, it just bulked up making it a remarkable feat for a man made object that rigid. This could prove helpful during structural collapses since concrete tend to fall right off in an event of a major crack occurring.
Using sawdust rather than sand has its advantages, among these advantages were mentioned in recent studies. These included: sound insulation and reduction of about -14 dB, thermal capabilities which allowed it to retain its temperature for longer periods of time, improved flexibility cause of its synthetic wood fiber bonding replicating that of trees, and more cost efficient because it is already waste byproducts, making sawdust a good compromise to sand.
Surely the engineering field might not approve incorporating organic materials into concrete because of their decomposing property and soft molecular structure but of course technologies change as well as time. More and more developments can be developed to improve this. If a man can build a house made out of sawdust, loose soil, clay and cement then surely it is possible to be able to build improved lightweight structures with merely waste materials and organic particles. An engineer’s job is to conceptualize and not to criticize. Broadening our minds towards environmental awareness does have its pro’s and con’s. This is the idea of pushing forward towards the twenty first century of development.

74 comments:

Unknown said...

hello..i'm civil engineering student and this year is my final semester...i'm interesting about your research project about the sawdust..can i get ur sample for my reference???

Elnie Cornelio Martinez said...

hello....i am also a 5th year CE student...i am planning to compare what kind of sawdust will have higher compressive strength if use as a substitute for sand...i am hoping if you could give me a sample of your research so that i can use it in my review of related lit...

akinto2006 said...

Hi... I actually didn't know that my research got publish on the net. Email me at allenantonio@gmail.com and I will try to send you the e-files once I find them. More power to you guys. Keep up the good work.

Elnie Cornelio Martinez said...

thank you Engr Antonio for sending d files....God bless you!!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot!!

ergenify said...

hello there,
i'm also a 5th year standing CE student and we are planning for research about sawdust.. can you please send me the sample of your research to get some more ideas.. tnx u so much, were expecting your coply.. God Bless Feati.

ergenify said...

hello there,
i'm also a 5th year standing CE student and we are planning for research about sawdust.. can you please send me the sample of your research to get some more ideas.. tnx u so much, were expecting your coply.. God Bless Feati.

Elnie Cornelio Martinez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
crtfdkng8lphilipadik said...

Hello, pls. send me a copy of this thesis...I'm really interested on this sawdust...I'm gonna used it as basis for my thesis..Thanks a lot..:)

jecka said...

hi.. im a 5th yr civil engineering. im also interested in your research proposal sir.. can i have a copy of it?

jecka said...

ms. elnie martinez. can u help me?

jecka said...

hwo can i hav a copy of this thesis.. can someone help me plsss

Elnie Cornelio Martinez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elnie Cornelio Martinez said...

elnie.ecm@gmail.com...email me jecka so that i could send you a copy.

Wilson Angelo said...

hey.. please kindly send me a copy of your thesis sir.. im also a graduating student looking for a basis for my thesis... tnx.. hoping for ur most favorable response...god bless..

angelica feliz apigo said...

HI,im a 4th year civil engineering student....and for this sem,we have our research subject...and im planning to have your research as my basis for this said project...can i have an e-file of your research???

angelica feliz apigo said...

hi there,im a 4th year civil engineering student and for this sem ,we have our research subject and im planning to have your research as my basis for my project....so if ever, can i have a copy/e-file of your research....cause im really interested with that topic...thanks...

Elnie Cornelio Martinez said...

Ms Angelica.... please email me @ elnie.ecm@gmail.com so that i could send a copy of the study to you... God bless

patrick said...

hello.. iam a 4th year civil engineering student and iam interested in your research can i get a sample of ur research as a basis for my thesis here is my email add.. patrixki@yahoo.com thank you

angelica feliz apigo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angelica feliz apigo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hello..i'm civil engineering student and this year is my final semester...i'm interesting about your research project about the sawdust..can i get ur sample for my reference??? im oliver castillo from legazpi city. oliver_castle@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

elnie can i request you a copy of that research? plsss help me

thamie said...

Hello !

I'm civil engineering and I m working at construciton company ... I'kk try to get a master degeree n I m interesting about you research project. Pls, send me to ur sample project ...
My acc is remmeberthamienge@gmail.com

thamie said...

Hello !

I'm civil engineering and I m working at construciton company ... I'll try to get a master degeree n I m interesting about you research project. Pls, send me to ur sample project ...
My acc is remmeberthamienge@gmail.com

Jordan said...

Hello Sir. i'm a 4th year civil engineering student and we are really interested about your research. can we have a copy of your research proposal.? please. :) we want to know more about your research. here's my email PandanCola@yahoo.com . . thx a lot sir. more power. :)

rhianne steff said...

hello..i am also a civil eng'g student..i am also interested about your research in sawdust..can you pls send me the whole copy of your research so that i can use it as my basis nd to get more ideas.hope u can email me as soon as possible..here's my email..rachel_tandz7@yahoo.com..tnx in advance....

imate_jOhn said...

hello gUyZ.. i'm a civil engineering student and this sem i have the research subject..I am interested on your research about sawdust after i have read it and i am planning to use it as a title of my research...If possible, can you help me to have a copy of it..pls. help me gUyz.. i really need it to complete my research..tnx...God Bless...

imate_jOhn said...

by the way this is my email...imate_john07@yahoo.com....
i am xpecting to have a copy from you guyZ...tHanK u again....

Unknown said...

by the way this is my e-mail address russeljed1234@gmail.com and russel_jed@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

by the way this is my e-mail address russeljed1234@gmail.com and russel_jed@yahoo.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hello... i'm also a 5th year CE student,i am planning to gather some old thesis from others so that i can have a better idea.. i hope you can also send me a sample of your research. thanks.. god bless.

by the way this is my email address shamler_chard@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

hello, im a 5th year civil engineering student, and im planning to conduct a research regarding sawdust in concrete,in connection to this may i ask for copy of this thesis to serve as my guide..hoping for your immediate response..this is my email address..russeljed1234@g.mail.com and russel_jed@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

interesting thesis.... can you please send me a file of your thesis ... hids_hids99@yahoo.com.ph is my email

Unknown said...

sir , i'm interested on your research, i am hoping you could send me a copy of your research for i will use it as a reference for my research project.. Email: jamesalvinnealega@gmail.com , thank you and more power

Unknown said...

Hello sir. I am a 5th yr. student. I am interested in your research. I would like to use it as a reference for my thesis. I am hoping if you could send me a copy of your research. this is my e-mail address arissa_pareno@yahoo.com and arissa.pareno@gmail.com....thank you.

Unknown said...

thanks a lot sir!, god bless and more power!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hello sir i am also a 5th year civil eng'g student.. i am very much interested at your research, can i pleased for your copy of this thesis study as a guide.. this is my email rolaine127@gmail.com thank u sir^_^

fernando said...

hello..i'm civil engineering student and this year is my final semester too. can you please send me the sample of your research. fernandoend@hotmail.com thanks

Unknown said...

hello sir i am also a 4th year civil eng'g student. i am very much interested at your research, can i pleased for your copy of this thesis study as a guide. this is my email john_dhel4@yahoo.com. thank you so much.^^

Unknown said...


hello sir im a civil engineering student,i am interested in ur research can i use ur research as a reference?can u please send me the e-file of ur research?thank u so much

Unknown said...


hello sir im a civil engineering student,i am interested in ur research can i use ur research as a reference?can u please send me the e-file of ur research?thank u so much

Unknown said...

hello sir..i am a 5th year civil engineering student and i am interested in your research can i get a copy of your research as a basis for my thesis? here is my email add..johnblare187@yahoo.com thank you sir. .godbless!

chardydepz said...

hello!!! good day. i'm a civil eng'g student in the philippines. i am so interested with your study. i wanted also to have a study same as yours here in the philippines. i am hoping if you could help me by giving me some advice or references about this study. this is my email add: richardeperio.06@gmail.com

Unknown said...

hi sir pls send me the copy of your thesis for our reference and guidelines thanks this is my email arcilla_johnmichael@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

sir can i have the copy of your research......help us sir THANKS GODBLESS YOU:)

Anonymous said...

hello..im civil engineering student and im interested about your research project..maybe can you send me a copy about the sawdust..i can use this as my basis. tnx

Anonymous said...

sir...can you give me a copy of your research... can i use your research as my basis... garnet_0821@yahoo.com is my email ad...please. pls...tnx

Elnie Cornelio Martinez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elnie Cornelio Martinez said...

Two years ago, I posted a comment... never entered my mind that this would help many CE students....

#lookingback
#happy
#grateful

God bless us aLL...

Unknown said...

hi sir, i am a 4th yr civil engineering student. your RP interests me a lot. can i have a copy if you please. thank you and more power

Unknown said...

im a civil engineering student,and this is my final year as a ce student,im interested in ur research,can i use it as a reference in our thesis?can i have a copy?can u please send me the e-file?thank u so much

Richelle said...

hi. I'm a civil engineering Student and i would like to ask if i can get a copy of your thesis. kindly send it on my e-mail keng_irish@yahoo.com any response will greatly appreciate.Thank You.

Richelle said...

hi. I'm a civil engineering Student and i would like to ask if i can get a copy of your thesis. kindly send it on my e-mail keng_irish@yahoo.com any response will greatly appreciate.Thank You.

Unknown said...

Hi. Can you please give me a copy of your research as a reference for our thesis? Kindly email me the copy at kamkim011@yahoo.com . Thanks.

Unknown said...

hello, I'm a Ce Student i already used sawdust in my thesis, but i end up terribly, the cement won't stick and the sawdust absorbs to much water making the mixture soft. and it dry slow, i try to place it in oven but the dust are burn, i also put it outside the brick dries but it easily break.. i try different materials to make the drying process effective but not a single one work... (sorry for my grammar)

anonymous said...

hi... i'm a ce student and i would like to have a copy of your thesis sir for my reference

Unknown said...

Good day, m a civil engineering student,and this is my final year as a ce student,i am very interested in ur research,can i use it as a reference in our thesis?can i have a copy?can u please send me the e-file?thank u so much. My email is anne_bretania@yahoo.com. ty

Unknown said...

hello :) im a civil engineering student.. i found your research proposal interesting.. can i have a copy for this as a reference in our thesis? kindly email it on my account kiikz143@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hello :) im also a 5th year civil engineering student,we will be having our thesis this sem..can i have a copy for this as a reference
mervin_malit@yahoo.com
Thank you :)

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm also a 5th Ce student, we'll be having our thesis this semester. I am hoping that I could get acopy of your files for basis. I'm really interested with this topic. Thank you and hoping for your reponse.
Email: kcmagpily@rocketmail.com

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm also a 5th Ce student, we'll be having our thesis this semester. I am hoping that I could get acopy of your files for basis. I'm really interested with this topic. Thank you and hoping for your reponse.
Email: kcmagpily@rocketmail.com

Unknown said...

Hello, pls. send me a copy of this thesis...I'm really interested on this sawdust...I'm gonna used it as basis for my thesis..Thanks a lot

Unknown said...

Hi. I'm a 5th year CE student pwede ko po bang gawing reference yung research niyo..interested po ako.. PLEASE PO.. pwede po ba makahingi ng copy?

Unknown said...

Hi. I'm a 5th year CE student pwede ko po bang gawing reference yung research niyo..interested po ako.. PLEASE PO.. pwede po ba makahingi ng copy?
Email: jorielyngruezo@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Peace. I'm a 4th CE student po interested po ako sa research nyo pwede bang makahingi ako ng file nya for reference salamat. hoping for your response sir/engr. MARAMING SALAMAT PO
EMAIL: mohammadkhalidkalipa@gmail.com
mohammadkhalidkalipa@yahoo.com.ph

Unknown said...

Good afternoon po. 4th year CE student. Pwede po bang humingi ng copy ng research nyo. Thank you po.
villalunamariel@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Can I ask a copy?

Unknown said...

rhodamaegomez15@gmail.com maam can ihave a copy thanks. For reference

Unknown said...

rhodamaegomez15@gmail.com maam can ihave a copy thanks. For reference